Posted on

Kit Build Junkcaster

This kit had to be wrestled into submission. I wrote to the vendor to complain to no avail. All the parts seemed cheap.

The basswood body did not want to take on color or reveal the grain. I gave it two coats of stain, and two coats of tinted Danish oil. Finally, I broke out my torch and set it on fire.

The fire worked. Since it now had a distressed look, I added some construction staples and did a few things to give the patina it needed.

The cavities were lined with copper and grounded together to make a Farraday cage.

I donated it to Goodwill. It sold for $177. There’s a message in there somewhere – I wonder what it is.

Posted on

Rebuilt Guitars #2

This project started as a solid but hideous Hohner Professional ST 59 strat copy. A straight, adjustable one-piece Canadian rock maple neck, minimal fret wear, and a solid maple body. The paint job and pickguard were truly awful.

Very flat fret radius at 20″. New Graph Tech nut. Frets leveled, crowned, and polished. The solid maple body now has a fresh look. New pickguard and pickups. New floating 2-point bridge. Set-up for new #10 strings, low action, and good intonation. It plays and sounds great.